Wednesday 26 October 2016

Embrace a Challenge

Ok, ok, ok, so I may have set myself this challenge but why the hell not. It was one of those things that I just came across, as though a path had lead me to it on purpose and it got my heart racing at the sheer thought of it.

When it was first decided that we were moving to Cornwall, I got straight on Facebook searching for local groups that I could join to help me settle in. I'm be honest, there weren't many groups local to my area but I did spot, and immediately joined, a Trail Running Group. At the time I new nothing about trail running (I truly didn't understand what it meant) but as far as I was concerned it was a running group that would be full of like-minded people that I was sure I could relate too.
Now I'll be honest, to this point I haven't been fortunate enough to join the group on their Sunday morning trails due to having 2 children, a work-addict of a husband and no sitters (as of yet) but I do follow them on Facebook as I am keen to get started asap. But, a recent post on the group caught my attention, WomenCan marathon. Yep, I was checking it out straight away. A full trail marathon (26.4 miles) across Devon pathways to celebrate 50 years since the first ever women took part in a full marathon.

Everything that I read filled me with absolute excitement. A marathon that was for women only, near to where I currently live, doesn't cost the earth to enter, off road and a MASSIVE challenge to me, an old bird with MS.  I got in contact with the organisers straight away, finances are not at there best at the moment and there was no way that I wanted to risk not getting a place and I can not tell you how excited I was with the response.  There are still places left and if it looked like they were closing in then someone would message me so that I could grab my chance and not risk missing out.

Why am I so desperate to be part of this event? There are so many reasons;
1. The feeling and buzz that I get when I take on a personal challenge
2. I am (hopefully but not yet confirmed) able to raise some money for an MS Charity that have already done so much for me)
3. Push myself mentally and physically
4. Be able to inspire so many other people and spread the message that anything is possible
5. I can say that I achieved something that for me, is incredible.




And so the training has started. My first recorded run was last week, I planned on doing 10k as I believed I was pretty much already doing that whenever I go out anyway but as I was recording my results using Strava then I would have something to track me through my training. Little did I know that I wasn't doing anything near 10k already, not even touching it in fact. Ekkkk, and panic! Don't get me wrong, I did it and it felt good but this is actually going to really push me. During my first proper run my MS did show its face, the numbness started halfway through and I stopped for a while to allow a bit of time for the feeling to come back to my fingers and toes. Just look at the views on my break though, so often we get so focused on the finish line that we forget to enjoy the journey - well thank you numbness and as always, thank you MS, this is already a journey I know that I am going to love to hate. Bring it on, I can not bloody wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment